Are you a student of the Graz University of Technology? Great!
This and a bit of motivation is all you need to go on a BEST course.
BEST provides courses four seasons a year (winter, spring, summer and autumn) all over Europe.
Every season starts with an application period. In this period the application is open for all students.
You don’t need to become a BEST member to participate in BEST courses.
You can check the course list to see which courses are open for application at the moment!
Disclaimer: due to COVID-19 regulations, BEST courses in person have been suspended for the time being.
In order to apply for a course, there are a few steps that you have to follow:
- Go to the BEST application system.
- Enter your email address and your password. If you do not have an account, register here. Don’t forget to fill out the University you belong to. Otherwise your account can not be validated!
- Enter the application to the BEST application system. You can apply for up to 3 courses per season. You will need to write a small Motivation Letter.
- Then contact us and ask us to validate your account.
- Please read the Never Alone Guide.
- Pay the deposit if you were accepted to one of the courses.
- Arrange everything for your travel to the course.
- Participate in the event (actively following the program prepared by the organisers) and have a lot of fun!
- Pay the fee if there is any.
- Evaluate the course on BEST application system (after participating in it).
The motivation letter is the most important step of the application. It is the foundation for the acceptance.
There are no perfect templates or instructions on how to write your motivation letter because everyone is unique, and this should be reflected in this letter! However, there are some general tips and hints that might be useful, and might help you in getting accepted more easily!
The letter shouldn’t be longer than the text box you can see, it does not need to be formal – you are writing to students just like yourself. Try to be creative because these students often have to read hundreds of motivation letters. And of course the letter has to be written in English.
The motivation letter should depict:
- Something about yourself (studies, life, hobbies, sport, languages you speak, etc.)
- Why you want to go abroad
- Why you are interested especially in the course
Bear in mind that your letter is going to be read by students, just like you. They get many applications from which they have to choose – and the only tool they have to choose is the student’s motivation letters. It might be that the organisers have to read a few hundred motivation letters, so to attract their attention, try to be creative and funny. Do not write a formal letter, do not start it with “Dear Madam or Sir”, and importantly, do not make it look like a CV – do not state all the schools you visited, all the jobs you did during your life, etc.. Write an interesting letter in prose style!
Write something you would like to read!
What to expect
Accommodation can vary a lot from event to event. At some courses you will sleep at a hostel, at some in a cabin or a dormitory. Before applying for a course you can read about this under the course information.
Normally accommodation at our events is pretty good, but keep in mind that all work is done on a voluntary basis and getting money is not always easy, so keep an open mind in case things are not perfect.
During the course the organisers will provide you with three free meals a day. You can expect at least one of these meals to be warm.
It is important to keep in mind that not all countries have the same food culture or dinner times as yours , so be prepared to learn how people dine in different countries.
It is a good idea to bring some pocket money for the trip.
During the event organisers will be paying for you accommodation, food and social activities, but it is usual that you will have to pay for drinks during the parties.
One thing is sure at a BEST event, the parties are crazy. You should be prepared to party all night and still stay awake the next days during classes.
This is a part of the famous BEST-spirit!